Ampicillin is used for treating infections caused by certain types of bacteria. Ampicillin is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria by interfering with formation of the bacteria's cell wall while it is growing. This weakens the cell wall and it ruptures, resulting in the death of the bacteria.
Use Ampicillin as directed by your doctor.
- Take Ampicillin by mouth at least one-half hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Take Ampicillin with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Take Ampicillin on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Ampicillin at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ampicillin for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ampicillin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ampicillin.
Store Ampicillin at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Ampicillin out of the reach of children and away from pets.